Skip to content
- 2019, ‘Introducing Anti-nuclear Protest in Post-Fukushima Tokyo: Power Struggles‘, Disaster, Infrastructure and Society: Learning from the 2011 Earthquake in Japan, no 7, pp. 39–43.
- 2016, ‘Above and below the streets: a musical geography of anti-nuclear protest in Tokyo’, Emotion, Space and Society, vol. 20, pp. 82–89. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1755458616300044.
- 2015, ‘Remembering Hiroshima and the Lucky Dragon in ChimPom’s Level 7 feat. “Myth of Tomorrow”’, The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, vol. 13, iss. 6, no 3, http://japanfocus.org/-Alexander-Brown/4279.
- Brown, A. & Mackie, V. 2015, ‘Introduction: special issue on art and activism in post-disaster Japan’, The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, vol. 13, iss. 6, no 3, http://japanfocus.org/-Alexander-Brown/4277/article.html.
- 2012, ‘Attending the Global Conference for a Nuclear Free World in Yokohama’, Disaster, Infrastructure and Society: Learning from the 2011 Earthquake in Japan, no 2, pp. 40–45. http://hdl.handle.net/10086/23122.
Edited Special Issues of Journals
- Brown, A. & Bender, C.T. 2016 ‘The Global Hiroba: Transnational Spaces in Tokyo’s Anti-nuclear Movement’, in R.J. White, S. Springer, M.L. de Souza (eds), The practice of freedom: anarchism, geography and the spirit of revolt, Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, https://www.rowmaninternational.com/book/the_practice_of_freedom/3-156-d7c7e1d6-970c-4d20-99db-a0e1678664f4.
- 2012, ‘Precarious times: the revolutionary potentiality of the present’, in C. Lawrence and N. Churn (eds), Movements in time: revolution, social justice and times of change, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle Upon Tyne, https://www.cambridgescholars.com/movements-in-time-16.
- Shimizu, H. 2019 (in press), Grassroots globalisation: reforestation and cultural revitalization in the Philippine Cordilleras, Trans Pacific Press, Melbourne, http://www.transpacificpress.com/item.mibiznez?id=217&name=Hiromu%20Shimizu,%20Grassroots%20Globalization.
- Oguma, E. 2016, ‘A new wave against the rock: new social movements in japan after the Fukushima nuclear meltdown’, The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, vol. 14, iss. 13, no 2, https://apjjf.org/2016/13/Oguma.html.
- Higuchi, A. 2012, ‘The mechanisms of social exclusion in modern society: the dilemma of active labor market policy’, International Journal of Japanese Sociology, vol. 23, no 1, pp. 110–124, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-6781.2012.01165.x/abstract.
- 2015, ‘Power struggles: the strategies and tactics of the anti-nuclear movement in contemporary Tokyo’, PhD thesis, University of Wollongong, http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5521&context=theses
- 2017, ‘The Sydney Homoeopathic Dispensary: A Social History of Homoeopathy in Early Sydney’, Honours thesis, University of Wollongong.
- 2017, Review of C. Cassegård Youth movements, trauma and alternative space in contemporary Japan (Brill 2014), Japanese Studies, vol. 37, no 1, pp. 140–2.
- Review of Anne Allison, Precarious Japan (Durham 2013), Asian Studies Review, vol. 40, no 2, pp. 308–10.
- Review of Karatani Kōjin, History and repetition, edited by Seiji M. Lippit (Columbia 2012), Japanese Studies, vol. 32, no 3, pp. 480–2.
- Review of Gender and labour in Korea and Japan: sexing class (New York 2009), Intersections, no 28, http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue28/brown_review.htm.
Guest Posts on Other Blogs
- 2018, ‘I saw myself as an activist, an organiser and a political cadre: an interview with Nick Southall (part 2)’, The Word From Struggle Street, 13 December, https://thewordfromstrugglestreet.wordpress.com/2018/12/13/i-saw-myself-as-an-activist-an-organiser-and-a-political-cadre-an-interview-with-nick-southall-part-2/
- 2018, ‘The party was like our family: an interview with Nick Southall (part 1)’, The Word From Struggle Street, 12 November, https://thewordfromstrugglestreet.wordpress.com/2018/11/12/the-party-was-like-our-family-an-interview-with-nick-southall-part-1/
- 2018, ‘The anti-nuclear movement and street politics in Japan after Fukushima’, Asian Currents, 25 June, http://asaa.asn.au/anti-nuclear-movement-street-politics-japan-fukushima.
- ‘Anti-nuclear love songs: the music of resistance in post-Fukushima Japan’, Upswell, no 1. http://www.upswellmag.com/anti-nuclear-love-songs-the-music-of-resistance-in-post-fukushima-japan–upswell-magazine/anti-nuclear-love-songs-the-music-of-resistance-in-post-fukushima-japan.
- 2014, ‘Busting the budget in Wollongong’, The Word From Struggle Street, 17 June, https://thewordfromstrugglestreet.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/busting-the-budget-in-wollongong/.
Japanese Language Publications
- 2013, ‘Uran saikutsu o tometara, genpatsu wa tomaru: hankaku undō no nichigō rentai ni mukete’, People’s Plan, no 60, pp. 4–8.
- 2013, ‘Hankaku undō no nichigō rentai ni mukete: uran saikutsu o tometara, genpatsu mo tomaru’, call, no 1, 11 March.